Though its importance as a natural gas exporter has grown in recent years, Turkmenistan seeks to further expand and diversify its economy. Some public entities, such as the National Academy of Science, have taken promising initial steps in embracing ICT as a tool for greater economic development.
National strategy defines major aims and objectives, main principles, regulations and trends of Home Policy regarding the dissemination of informative communicational technologies in Turkmenistan. The National Strategy is considered to be as one of the most important trends in the development of the country within the framework of realization of national development program of Turkmenistan for the period of 2012; informative communicational technologies give great opportunities for goal-reaching in the National program, the acceleration of economic development and improving the well-being of the Nation.
The major role in development ICT in the country plays the Ministry of communication of Turkmenistan as a governance organisation. The government of Turkmenistan implements an effort for structural and institutional reforms with aim to provide the most favorable ICT development. Starting from 2003, Turkmen research education network association (TuRENA) is operating in the country. This decision has been the big stimulus for users in the science and education sphere. Statistical data of TuRENA users:
- 16 Educational universities- more than 18000 users
- 15 Scientific research institutions- more than 7900
- 4 Colleges – more than 2400 users
- 26 Secondary schools- more than 22300 users
- 10 other organizations- more than 10500 users
- Total: 71 organizations- more than 61000 users.
ICT sector and its effectiveness in current informational infrastructure are growing up from day to day. Level of informative technologies is not so much conditioned by their unavailability as by the impossibility of their usage for the absence of adequate means of transmitting information. Mostly, the situation with ICT gets better because most of the personnel now have been equally trained; in addition, the professional training is greatly connected with the opportunity of access to large volumes of guidance and technical data, which is kept in vast newly opened Internet centres.
Results of the survey concerning availability and use of ICTs among staff of enterprises and organizations showed more than 75 % of all surveyed enterprises have computers, and most of enterprises with computers are in state ownership. The survey found that most part of enterprise heads having had good ICT skills, most of the ICT users have higher education or a post-graduate degree, and 60% of them are men are 40% women). However, the share of female heads of enterprises with ICT skills is higher. The following are the basic trends of country's ICT Sector:
- The normative documents which regulate ICT structure in the country are developed or developing
- Instructions on the document workflow and E-Government have been elaborated in Turkmenistan
- The National ICT training center in Ashgabat was established in 2011.
- The governmental staff of Turkmenistan has an opportunity to be trained on the base of ICT programme for introduction and using in all the spheres of National economics.
- The Government of Turkmenistan is assigned the budget means for computing and ICT use. All secondary Turkmen schools (more than 1200) were equipped with PCs.
- The majority of the secondary schools, universities, research institutes and civic population have free access to the Internet via TuRENA network and Turkmentelecom.
- There is a good experience in the area of distance training in education, telemedicine and SCADA (remote control) and other spheres.
Informative communicational technologies have huge potentials for serving as a catalyser and motivator for the further development of Turkmenistan. Potential benefits from informative communicational developments include the achievement of effective management in all country' spheres and increasing the labor productivity, as well as the appearing of new opportunities in government program and providing the service in the field of informative communicational technologies and other.